Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Introduction

Let me start by introducing myself. I, what you may call, come from a pool that is heavily represented in the Silicon Valley. Indian, with a hi-tech background. For interests, check out my profile info. The last time I went to a class was around ten years back in one of the top engineering schools in India. Currently, I am a product manager in one of the big Bay Area software development companies.

I started my journey towards an MBA around two years back when I found myself jaded working as a software engineer (yes, I was in what is called 'development' when I started my quest for MBA) and decided that I needed a change. At that time, many of my colleagues were doing an MBA or planning to join an MBA, and MBA seemed to be the golden ticket out of the rut that I was in. So I wrote my GMAT, got a 700+ score and started applying to part-time MBA schools.

I wanted to do a part time MBA because I was not really looking for a drastic shift in career( IB or MC are way out there for me) , but looking for expanding my understanding of business forces that shape a company, rejuvenate my network and last but not the least, looking for change. There were several other reasons that I filled my application essays with, half I do not recall any more. Living in the Bay area, my options were restricted to HAAS, SCU-Leavey and Wharton Executive. Applied to all three, got wait listed from HAAS & Wharton West and admit from SCU-Leavey. Did some research and found that SCU-Leavey School of Business had a pretty decent alumni network in the Bay Area, though somewhat tech-heavy. That was both good and bad for me. The good part being that having invested a majority of my career in hi-tech and engineering I plan to build my niche in those areas. The bad, industry diversity would have been a plus. As a side-note I have looked at the diversity pie charts from HAAS & Wharton West part time MBA programs, even those are quite tech-heavy.
Anyways..I applied for and got into SCU's weekend MBA program..and this is were my MBA eductaion starts..

No comments: